"Sometimes I wish I were blind. Then, I could see a person's soul before I see their face..." a friend in NY 1969

Monday, May 17, 2010

DiagnosingTheProblem

We sat intently as the neurologist asked questions, comparing history and medications as well as interventions already attempted. Pain management was not my concern, and he understood that. Figuring out why I needed my cane to ambulate, and was there a cause... The labs were ordered, and an MRI of brain and cervical spine will provide insight, with an EMG to follow.

Isn't it amazing that the medical community has advanced knowledge of the human body? To discover the cause, to receive a diagnosis, to get a prognosis .... all of these I have been seeking for a long time. The neurologist told me to keep walking with the cane...as my ataxia demands it, so I won't fall... with the neuropathy of each leg.

No matter what we discover in the very end, the cement that keeps us together will hold fast as Gus and I meet the next challenge.