"Sometimes I wish I were blind. Then, I could see a person's soul before I see their face..." a friend in NY 1969

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Bev


This morning I was informed about a friend's recent death....totally unexpected and very unanticipated. Bev was younger than me, making me even more upset... "We know neither the day nor the hour" has been recited again and again...it's quite true.

When I graduated high school in '65, Viet Nam drew so many of our graduates with the first casualty returning in a body bag. He was laid out in his Marine attire in an open coffin. Not until last year did I finally get to the "Wall" replica that tours the country to see his name. He was the first of many deaths Viet Nam would claim.

As I age, I have come to accept death as a part of life...and the older I become, the more I anticipate death's arrival....except for Bev. Her cheerfulness, her infectious laugh, and eagerness to lend a hand...these are the gifts she freely shared with everyone. I miss you, my friend.