"Sometimes I wish I were blind. Then, I could see a person's soul before I see their face..." a friend in NY 1969

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Try Again



There are times in life when defeat circumvents each attempt you make to find answers to your questions, leaving you feeling that your problems are imaginary.  Over the last two years it felt like that to me.  My car accident in January 2006 left me vulnerable with physical discomfort that continues to this day.  When the falls began, the doctors I sought treatment from provided little to resolving my problems, even differed on the diagnosis.  However, I needed to prevent falling and started to walk with a cane.  Two years after the falls began I was finally headed to my third physician, and I was determined to get some type of answers.

After an intensive exam, another EMG, another MRI, and finally a three day EEG, a diagnosis was made. Not only do I have ataxia and need the cane at all times, but also seizures were discovered.  A new medication was introduced, and the dosage has been adjusted.  Do I still fall?  Yes, even with the cane. However, I have restarted physical therapy (which has intensified my back pain) to strengthen my pelvic muscles.  Also, I feel more attentive and focused on each and every task at hand.  The third physician, Dr.Richard Newman,  has been a blessing to me.  His persistence in making a diagnosis with involved testing as well as his medical knowledge is what made the difference in my life and my lifestyle.

All this makes me remember back to being a child.  My parents told me to never give up, and just keep trying.   Then, God has me trying each day to be a better person, to let Him shine through my life, and when I fail, to seek reconciliation, and try again.   This lesson from my childhood has revisited me at sixty-two. It is a good lesson to remember always.