"Sometimes I wish I were blind. Then, I could see a person's soul before I see their face..." a friend in NY 1969

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Just How Does This Fit In???



Grief is such a stubborn thing.... there all the time, even when happy.  The photo above is of Sarah Leigh on the evening that we lost Porterhouse.  Her sadness was overwhelming, which only compounded ours.  That evening our little neighbor told her parents that she wanted to give Sarah Leigh her teddy because she didn't want her to be alone.  We delighted in how Sarah tossed the bear into the air and caught it. All of us stood there crying, except for Sarah and little Josephine.  Sarah Leigh stood ever so still as her little neighbor touched her golden furry coat.  There were no words exchanged, but Sarah knew of Josephine's sincere thoughts.  Sarah still sleeps with the bear today, despite the new addition to the family of another Golden named Mike.

Tonight my computer turned to the local obituary page, as I was looking for a particular announcement.  Yet, suddenly there was a NETFLIX pop up.  In disgust, the ad was removed, but it made me wonder:  "just how many grieving people need NETFLIX  at that moment;  or, have we really become such a throw away society that we bury ourselves in entertainment?"    Perhaps I am too harsh in this respect.  I am sure that NETFLIX can be the remedy for busy parents who are trying to get to a viewing service and a special movie could entertain the children while the baby sitter watches them.  It's just the joy grief issue that I find difficult.

When Jesus was confronted by death, He wept.  Then, He consoled the others by reminding them of how long they have been with Him, and did they not remember that Jesus was the Resurrection and the Life. Two opposites were present:  one of death, the other of life.  So just as NETFLIX appears on the obituary page to serve a purpose, I am sure that the same unspoken happiness and joy existed with little Josephine and Sarah Leigh.  Opposites?  Yes.  Common denominator???  Love....