"Sometimes I wish I were blind. Then, I could see a person's soul before I see their face..." a friend in NY 1969

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

My Best

Weather is so changeable, especially here in Florida.  The tale is "if you don't like the weather, wait ten minutes and it will change."   Life can be the same with its' challenges, and each challenge has opportunities that are uniquely its' own.  Just when you prepare for the rain, the sun will brilliantly shine against a background of dark clouds (as in the picture).   Recently, I have discovered that challenge accompanies change within my life as well.

Challenge is difficult to deal with, especially if there is anxiety surrounding the change.  How I wonder: did Jesus have anxiety as He approached the challenge of reuniting humanity with God by the scourging, carrying of the cross, and His crucifixion?  He did pray fervently in the garden prior to being arrested on false charges, but did He continue to pray just as fervently with each blow to His body, with each smash of the hammer's blow, with the movement of the cross into a hanging position prior to His death?  I personally think that prayer was His constant companion  as well as the angels at each of these moments.

My life has some brief periods that allows me to have prayer as my companion during my work day.  It is when I am scanning material into the computer that I can remember the faces, the stories that were shared by those I have registered.  It briefly allows me to pray for them, until a phone calls interrupts my thoughts. Then, I try again to remember these people who have come into my life briefly, with the hope that each of them will experience some consolation, some tenderness, some answers at this time or before the end of their day to give comfort.

My best is what I offer with each task at work.  My best is in each prayer.  Tonight, before my eyes close in sleep, I will again offer my best, my prayers.  Perhaps, one day prayer will become my constant companion no matter by what task I am confronted.  "...as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be.  Amen."