"Sometimes I wish I were blind. Then, I could see a person's soul before I see their face..." a friend in NY 1969

Monday, July 5, 2010

Hot Potato Salad?

Yesterday morning, the ham was baking almost 3 hours with barbecue sauce on it.  Since I had an excess of potatoes, I cooked them in their skins, and when finished, retrieved them from the hot water, placing them into a large bowl.  With the rest of the meal ready, the potatoes were quickly cut up into irregular shapes (skins on). The small amount of mayonnaise in the jar was combined with the remaining liquid and spices from Bread n  Butter pickles.  Shaking it well to make the sauce for my potato salad, I poured it over the chopped green pepper and chopped celery. It looked like "soup".  Slowly the potato salad was gently tossed.... then placed on the table.
Never in a million years would I have made hot/warm potato salad....but YUM!!!!!!!!!

Makes me think about my present situation, as never in a million years would I think I would  be walking forever with a cane, have cataracts in both eyes, and be only able to work as a registration clerk part time.  The bonus of such changes?  Well, I work with a caring group of women who each work hard and are dedicated to doing a complete job of taking care of the customer as well as respecting each other.  The cane as made me appreciate what I still can do, and both Golden Retrievers have identified when I need their assistance and come running quickly without being called to help.  The reduction in income to one quarter of what I was making two years ago has made me look at everything else differently, with utilizing what I have already and much creative cooking
(as above).

Thank you, Lord, for all my blessings of today, of things taken for granted, of blessings in the past.  Allow my eyes and my heart to receive all future gifts of friendship and love as in the spirit it is given.  Thank you for slowing me down, so I can focus more on my destiny with you.  Thank you for our nation, my husband, our home, our dogs, the ability to have a roof over our heads and food on the table. Amen.